Friday, October 28, 2011

Finger Foods:

With Halloween fast approaching I knew I wanted to make some of the foods I've been StumblingUpon all year and this seemed like one of the easiest while still having a frightening effect. I'd even say downright disgusting at first glance:






One of the things I liked about this was it was so easy! Seriously. They are a Scottish Shortbread although you can easily make a regular shortbread; the difference being brown sugar over white.

You will need:

2 cups butter, softened but not melted
1 cup brown or white sugar
2 3/4 cups flour
pinch of salt
red icing
sliced almonds






(above) I creamed the 2 cups butter and 1 cup brown sugar using a fork. After about 5 minutes of beating it and I found all the sugar dissolved into the butter I added 1 cup of my flour to the mixture and started mixing it together.




(above and below) I would add the flour 1 cup at a time until it was mixed properly. You want the consistency to be pretty thick by the time you're done; thick enough you can knead the dough. If you need more or less flour that's okay, add enough that you can use your hands and shape it like it were Play-Doh.





(above and below) I separated the dough into two, then I took those two and separated them again. I kept separating until I had balls of dough about the size of a small tangerine. Then I would roll them between my two hands and squeeze out a knuckle area in the middle. 





I would take the non-sharp side of a butter knife and make knuckle lines and then using the tip of my knife I flattened out a spot on one end of the finger.





Then after I baked them at 350 degrees for about 13 minutes (depending on the fatness of your fingers) I let them cool off a bit. When they were warm enough to pick up and not burn me I squeezed out some red icing and stuck an almond slice on the new nail bed. I really think the image is quite shocking, even in person and find this is one Halloween treat I can't wait to make again next year.







I would love to say these were a huge hit at a party or whatnot but I didn't take them anywhere so I have a tupperware box full of fingers. Next year I'll probably bring them somewhere special but this year I haven't seen many of my friends so these poor little fingers will end up going to waste. I'm still pleased I got to test them out and realizing how easy and tasty (even if I'm the only judge) they are I'm definitely making this for the next Halloween party; even if that party is 12 months from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment